Here is an article I found very interesting: Bosses who blame
Here is a good article on How to Get the Respect You Deserve at Work
You’ll want to read the whole article, but here are the bullet points:
- Don’t care so much. Seriously.
- Never miss a deadline. Ever.
- Never be late to an appointment. Ever.
- Don’t gossip. Especially over email.
- Don’t waste anyone’s time, but sometimes allow your superiors to waste yours.
- Treat those “underneath” you well.
- Dress like you’re going to ask for a raise. Every day.
- Know when to shut up, especially when you’re in a group.
- Keep your workspace clean.
- Don’t ever get drunk at a work gathering. Ever.
- And finally: Sing when it’s someone’s birthday. With gusto.
Personally, I find some of these easier to do than others. I can completely understand the ones about deadlines and being on time. I find it very rude when people ignore deadlines or show up late. And while we shouldn’t judge by appearances, dressing nicely and keeping a neat workspace do portray a better image.